Tuesday, July 27, 2010

044/365 - San Francisco! [For July 12th, 2010]

We stayed at Temple Baptist Church in SF, which was being staffed and lead by Youth Works. The staff was great; very welcoming! A couple other church groups joined us; one from Oregon, and the other from Ohio.

Justin and I separated our group for the entire week. He took Brandon, Tyler, and Nick, while I had Caleb and Troy. Justin's group stayed at the church all week, helping out with the on-going children's ministry. My group joined up with a couple kids from Ohio and their youth leader. Our (my) group got to travel all over SF for the week! =)

The very first day was a huge culture shock to us. SF has the most homeless in the nation, and we started off by working in the poorest district in the city! We were working with the Salvation Army, consolidating items in their warehouse, washing their truck, and whatever else they needed. Most importantly, however, was we were given the opportunity to tag along with them as they delivered food to those who were unable to leave their homes. It was nice to talk with them, even if they didn't have much to say. We may have been the only people they'd see that day, so I was glad we had the opportunity to hopefully lighten up their day. =)

About the photo: Each night, we (the staff and churches on the trip) would do an activity and/or sight see. Appropriately, the Golden Gate Bridge was first on this agenda. ;) Looking at it from the nearby gift shop, it was a very large bridge... But it wasn't until we actually started walking on it that I realized it was a VERY LARGE bridge! Haha. We only walked to the first tower, which isn't even a 1/4 of the way across, I don't believe. Looking straight up, it was like I was looking at a skyscraper! The engineering that went into the Golden Gate is off the charts. I was really impressed!


End Day 01 in SF!

No comments:

Post a Comment