Wednesday, October 6, 2010

130/365 - Seattle 100

The photography book I ordered just arrived this afternoon! =D I can't wait to go through it! It's called Seattle 100: Portrait of a City, by my favorite photographer, Chase Jarvis. It's his own personal project that's been over two years in the making.

What started out as a list of people who were really doing something in Seattle, whether it be architecture or music, and everything in between, that Chase wanted to work with on a project became the project. Instead of choosing an individual from the list to collaborate with, Chase decided to go out and include all of them in his own project. His mission was to capture the lives of people who truly defined the city of Seattle, in one way or another. The result is a large photography book overflowing with beautiful black and white portraits, while briefly describing the lives of the individuals on the pages. Not to mention the many friends, stories, and memories I'm sure he's collected along the way. Also, all the royalties he'd normally receive from the sales of this book are going straight to 4culture, an organization that supports local arts, culture, and history, which is pretty cool.

What Chase is doing is what I'd like to do someday. Actually, I have thought of doing a similar thing with my friends, originally called "Life at 50mm," last year. Although that project has kinda... not fallen through, but certainly not as active as I wanted it to be. But I would still love love love to reboot it ASAP! Maybe this weekend while I'm visiting some awesome friends on the Eastside? =) Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment